FACT: The most involuntary fasts (nafil fasts) kept by Rasool Allah sallalahu alayhe wasallam were in the month of shabaan.

A’isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) did not observe fast in any month of the year more than in the month of Sha’ban, an...d used to say: Do as many deeds as you are capable of doing, for Allah will not become weary (of giving you reward), but you would be tired (of doing good deeds) ; and he also said: The deed liked most by Allah is one to which the doer adheres constantly even if it is small.( Muslim :: Book 6 : Hadith 2582 )

Common Knowledge About Shab e Baraat Vs FACTS

MISCONCEPTION: Fasting only on 15th of Shaban is a deed of great reward.
FACT: Fasting ONLY on 15th of Shabaan is an innovation and not according to the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Thus should be totally avoided. Fasting frequently in Shabaan was the Sunnah of Rasool Allah However; Rasool prohibited his ummah from fasting after 15th of Shabaan due to fear of becoming too weak to be able to fast in Ramadan.
Rasool Allah Sallaalahu alayhe Wasallam said : “When half of shaban has passed, do not fast” (Abu Dawood Bab 12: Hadith 2337- Classed Hasan Sahih by Albani)
Therefore the Muslims should fast frequently in the first half of Shabaan and avoid fasting in the second half of Shabaan.

MISCONCEPTION: Shab e Baraat i.e. the 15th of Shabaan is a Special Night for prayers in Islam.
FACT: There is no such thing as Shab e Baraat. Word Shab e Baraat never appears in the Quran or Hadith. Shab e Baraat is infact NOT an Arabic Word.

MISCONCEPTION: On this blessed night Allah Tala descends down to forgive people
FACT: Allah Tala descends down EVERY night to forgive the people who repent.
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah’s Apostle said, “When it is the last third of the night, our Lord, the Blessed, the Superior, descends every night to the heaven of the world and says, ‘Is there anyone who invokes Me (demand anything from Me), that I may respond to his invocation; Is there anyone who asks Me for something that I may give (it to) him; Is there anyone who asks My forgiveness that I may forgive him?’ “Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 75, Number 333:

MISCONCEPTION: This is the blessed night on which the taqdeer is decided. Who will live…who will die. Who will get how much rizq…
The following verses of the Quran are presented as evidence for this as this verse is talking about a blessed night on which everything is decreed..
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
إِنَّآ أَنزَلۡنَـٰهُ فِى لَيۡلَةٍ۬ مُّبَـٰرَكَةٍ*ۚ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُنذِرِينَ (٣) فِيہَا يُفۡرَقُ كُلُّ أَمۡرٍ حَكِيمٍ (٤) أَمۡرً۬ا مِّنۡ عِندِنَآ*ۚ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُرۡسِلِينَ (٥) رَحۡمَةً۬ مِّن رَّبِّكَ*ۚ إِنَّهُ ۥ هُوَ ٱلسَّمِيعُ ٱلۡعَلِيمُ (٦)
Verily We Sent it down on a blessed night Verily, We are ever warning (3) There in is decreed every matter of ordainments (4) As a Command from Us. Verily, We are ever sending, (5)(As) a Mercy from your Lord. Verily! He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower. (6)
Surah Dukhaan Chapter 44 Verse 4
FACT: The verse is being misquoted.This Verse is about a Night in Ramadan NOT Shab e Baraat. The verse is talking about revelation of Quran on a blessed Night. Read the first 2 ayats of Surah Dukhaan

حم
وَالْكِتَابِ الْمُبِينِ
إِنَّا أَنْزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةٍ مُبَارَكَةٍ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُنْذِرِينَ
فِيهَا يُفْرَقُ كُلُّ أَمْرٍ حَكِيمٍ

Hâ-Mîm (1) By the clear Book,(2) Indeed, We sent it down during a blessed night. Indeed, We were to warn [mankind].(3) On that night is made distinct every precise matter -(4)(Quran Surah Dukhaan 44: 1-4)
Allah has informed us in Surah Baqarah that the Quran was revealed in the month of Ramadan.
شَہۡرُ رَمَضَانَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أُنزِلَ فِيهِ ٱلۡقُرۡءَانُ
The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an.( Surah Al Baqarah. Chapter 2:185)
So which night is Surah Dukhaan talking about? The night of revelation of Quran in Ramadan is none other than Lailtul Qadr. On this night angels descend and taqdeer is decided.Read Surah Qadr

إِنَّآ أَنزَلۡنَـٰهُ فِى لَيۡلَةِ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ (١)
وَمَآ أَدۡرَٮٰكَ مَا لَيۡلَةُ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ (٢)
لَيۡلَةُ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ خَيۡرٌ۬ مِّنۡ أَلۡفِ شَہۡرٍ۬ (٣)
تَنَزَّلُ ٱلۡمَلَـٰٓٮِٕكَةُ وَٱلرُّوحُ فِيہَا بِإِذۡنِ رَبِّہِم مِّن كُلِّأَمۡرٍ۬ (٤)
سَلَـٰمٌ هِىَ حَتَّىٰ مَطۡلَعِ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ (٥

Indeed, We sent the Qur’an down during the Night of Decree. (1) And what can make you know what is the Night of Decree?(2) The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months(3) The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter.(4) Peace it is until the emergence of dawn(5)(Quran 97: Surah Qadr)
And we all know that Laitul Qadr isa night which falls in the odd nights of last 10 days of Ramadan.So the Night of Decree is NOT 15th Shabaan but laitul Qadr.

MISCONCEPTION : Souls of the dead visit the earth and therefore one should go to cemeteries.
FACT: Once a person dies, if the soul is good, it is sent to IleeYeen and if it is bad it is sent down to Sijeyeen. There is a barzakh / a barrier between the souls and this world and they can never ever return to this world or contact us.
Until, when death comes to one of them (those who join partners with Allâh), he says: “My Lord! Send me back, (99) “So that I may do good in that which I have left behind!” No! It is but a word that he speaks, and behind them is Barzakh (a barrier) until the Day when they will be resurrected.(Surah Mominoon -100)